Who we are
Gambling Helpline is a 24 hour free-phone service that you can call to receive immediate support, as well as referral and information services for gambling problems. Our services are provided to people:
• Who are, or have been gambling
• Family and friends concerned about someone else's gambling, and
• The general public interested in the impact gambling has in New Zealand.
As the helpline for the Government’s Choice Not Chance campaign, we are the first point of contact for many people wanting to talk about gambling problems or to receive ongoing support.
How we work with you
Our services are provided on a free basis throughout New Zealand by telephone counsellors who have specialist gambling problem training and experience.
When you call us we will:
• Listen to you
• Examine the problems or issues with you
• Explore possible ways to address these issues
• Assist you by working with you to determine your next steps
• Give you choices around what you want to do next, such as face to face counselling, strategies that may assist you, self-help resources to work with, and information for
you. We also offer self-help options on this website.
• Offer continued future support.
Our free national phone number is 0800 654 655 and is available 24 Hours 365 days
We're also available via free txt at 8006.
We also have a number of specialist services that you may choose to use, including community specific helpline's provided on the basis of Maori counselling Maori, Pacific Island people's counselling Pacific people and youth counselling youth. Our Gambling Debt Helpline has counsellors with both financial and gambling counselling skills to provide you with support and practical programmes around gambling financial issues.
Maori Gambling Helpline 0800 654 656 (Mon 12 noon-4 pm Wed 5-9 pm, Sat 8 am-12 noon)
Pasifika Gambling Helpline 0800 654 657 (Tue 6-10 pm, Thu 6-10 pm Fri 12 noon-4 pm)
Youth Gambling Helpline 0800 654 659 (Mon 5-8 pm)
Gambling Debt Helpline 0800 654 658 (Thurs 5-9 pm Sat 12-4 pm)
You can also contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org