Gambling Helpline is a 24 hour, freephone helpline for those worried about gambling or the gambling of others. You can call us to receive immediate support, to be referred to another gambling support organisation, or for information services for problem gambling. Gambling Helpline is the helpline associated with the Government's Safer Gambling Aotearoa campaign to end harmful gambling.
At Gambling Helpline we:
- Offer phone support and counselling to encourage you when making the changes you want to make
- We can call you back, discreetly, for ongoing support and encouragement
- We can offer you support and practical suggestions when in crisis, and if necessary, provide crisis intervention
- Dedicated services for Māori and Pacific people, if you wish to use these
- A dedicated Gambling Debt helpline to support you and offer you practical programmes around your gambling financial issues
- Gambling self-help tools and other literature that you may find helpful
- We can refer you to your local (where available) face-to-face counselling agency, Gamblers Anonymous group, and any other gambling related services to assist you
- If you choose to attend face-to-face counselling we can provide ongoing support and encouragement between your appointments
- An online chat room/forum where you can share your story and receive support from others
- Support by email and text
- Support for youth via phone and website
- General gambling information
- Consumer information
Who we are
Gambling Helpline is a 24 hour free-phone service that you can call to receive immediate support, as well as referral and information services for gambling problems. Our services are provided to people:
- Who are, or have been gambling
- Family and friends concerned about someone else's gambling, and
- The general public interested in the impact gambling has in New Zealand.
As the helpline for the Government’s Safer Gambling Aotearoa campaign, we are the first point of contact for many people wanting to talk about gambling problems or to receive ongoing support.
How we work with you
Our services are provided on a free basis throughout New Zealand by telephone counsellors who have specialist gambling problem training and experience.
When you call us we will:
- Listen to you
- Examine the problems or issues with you
- Explore possible ways to address these issues
- Assist you by working with you to determine your next steps
- Give you choices around what you want to do next, such as face to face counselling, strategies that may assist you, self-help resources to work with, and information for you. We also offer self-help options on this website.
- Offer continued future support.